P0442 OBD II Trouble Code Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)
How to easily diagnose, repair, and info on causes of a P0442 trouble code which indicates a small EVAP emissions leak has been detected.
Symptoms of P0442 OBD II Trouble Code
- A loose or improperly affixed gas cap
- A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand)
- A small leak/hole in a fuel vapor hose/tube
- Other small leak in EVAP system
- Faulty vent o-ring seal
- Defective vent valve
- Defective purge valve
- Defective leak detection pump
Common Causes of P0442 OBD II Trouble Code
- Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the codes, and drive for a day and see if the codes come back.
- Otherwise, replace the gas cap (we recommend an OEM original part, not aftermarket part), or
- Visually inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses