P084E OBD II Trouble Code Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor Switch H Circuit Intermittent
How to diagnose, repair, and info on causes of a P084E transmission trouble code related to the trans fluid pressure sensor switch H Circuit that is intermittent . Also includes links to relevant forum topics on the code.
Symptoms of P084E OBD II Trouble Code
- Malfunction Indicator Light On
- Change in shift quality
- Vehicle starts off in 2nd or 3rd gear (limp in mode)
Common Causes of P084E OBD II Trouble Code
- Intermittent open in the signal circuit to the TFPS sensor
- Intermittent short to voltage in the signal circuit to the TFPS sensor
- Intermittent short to ground in the signal circuit to the TFPS sensor
- Failed TFPS Sensor ? likely
- Internal mechanical transmission issue - possible
- Failed PCM - unlikely (programming required after replacement)
Severity of P084E OBD II Trouble Code
Severity depends upon which circuit the failure has occurred in. Since this could be an electrical failure or a mechanical failure, the PCM/TCM can compensate to some degree. The failure may mean that the PCM/TCM modifies the shifting of the transmission if electronically controlled.