P0297 OBD II Trouble Code Vehicle Overspeed Condition
How to diagnose, repair, and info on causes of a P0297 trouble code which means that the vehicles PCM has determined that the vehicle has been driven too fast. Also includes links to relevant forum topics on the code.
Symptoms of P0297 OBD II Trouble Code
- Most commonly, no symptoms will accompany a P0297
- Other transmission control codes
- Transmission shifting irregularities
- Antilock Brake System (ABS) codes
Common Causes of P0297 OBD II Trouble Code
- The vehicle has been operated in excess of the maximum allowable speed
- Defective VSS or VSS reluctor ring
- Mechanical transmission failure
- VSS system circuits shorted to voltage
Severity of P0297 OBD II Trouble Code
Depending upon the symptoms exhibited with a Code P0297, it could be considered severe. If shifting abnormalities or transmission control codes accompany the P0297, it should be addressed with urgency.